Welcome to NCALA!
2018 NCALA Fall Conference Videos and Photos
Spectrum NEWS In Focus on Assisted Living
The In Focus series, a 30-minute public affairs program hosted by Senior Political Reporter and anchor Loretta Boniti, exclusively on Spectrum News, recently focused on assisted living in the state. Watch here.
Long Term Care
Read the May 2018 edition of Poyner Spruill LLP’s international award-winning newsletter for the North Carolina LTC community. Read the newsletter …
Rheumatoid Arthritis: An Overview
Read the latest PharmNotes newsletter featuring content on Rheumatoid Arthritis from Neil Medical Group Read more …
NCALA Support of Membership
- Quarterly meetings with Division of Medical Assistance regarding Medicaid reimbursement issues.
- Directly negotiating with CMS, NCALA was able to EXEMPT NC’s assisted living communities from the proposed Electronic Visit Verification requirement of the 21st Century Care Act.
- Participated in bi-monthly meetings with Adult Care Licensure representatives and consumer advocates related to revising the current star rating system. The formal report was presented to the General Assembly on October 1, 2018. The Star Rating Study found that the current system is flawed. However, changes to the current system were not recommended because DHHS does not have the budget to make needed technological changes to the current IT system that calculates the points and stars.
- NCALA approved more than 75 Administrator-in-Training (AIT) Preceptors.
- NCALA provided training for 100+ AIT students.
- NCALA conducted 5 AIT classes.
- Members and non-members participated in 7 FREE one-hour webinars—Poyner Spruill conducted 6 and Navinsure conducted 1.
- NCALA provided 2 full-day and 1 half-day trainings that were approved for administrator continuing education credit.
- NCALA held 4 full-day Family Care Home Policy and Procedure Classes.
- NCALA provided multiple consultations and settlement trainings for members who needed regulatory advice and specific “training in lieu of penalty”.
- NCALA conducted two 15-hour Medication Aide classes, with 10 medication aides each receiving 15-Hour Medication Aide Training Certificates.
- Karen Mosley AIT Scholarship awarded to one Administrator-in-Training candidate, Jeffrey Barnes from Fox Hollow Senior Living Community in Pinehurst.
- NCALA was very active in the 2018 short legislative session which resulted in one change to the General Statutes: § 90-288.14A. Approval for nursing home administrators to serve as adult care home administrator.
- NCALA continues to work closely with other provider groups, resident advocacy leaders, and the DHSR Adult Care Licensure Section to promote sound rule making and effect assisted living legislation that supports providers as well as the residents we all serve.